Dandruff in local parlance or seborrhea is a chronic disease of the skin because of excessive discharge of sebum from the sebaceous glands. It builds up in form of scales on the greasy skin. It targets the head or scalps of people, mostly youngsters.
The scales when overgrown fall off which creates a rather embarrassing situation. It leads to other skin problems like etching, pimples and acne on face. It is caused by poor shampooing and brushing habits, stress, dry skin and inadequate diet. These things make you more prone to dandruff.
Dandruff is one of the common scalp problems throughout the world among youngsters. There are home remedies to fight it. We will discuss the remedies one by one.
1. Lemon Massage and Coconut Oil – Coconut oil is the best nourishment for your hair. Mix warm coconut oil with equal amount of lemon juice and massage the scalp gently. Leave it for 20 minutes. Rinse it with shampoo.
2. Curd – You can treat dandruff with curd. Though it can be a little messy however it is very effective. Apply curd on your scalp. Let it be there for an hour or so. Rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
3. Fenugreek Seeds – Soak a handful of fenugreek seeds in water for 12 hours. Overnight will be better. In morning drain water and crush the softened seeds in such a way so as to make a paste. Apply this paste on your scalp and leave it for an hour or so. Rinse it off with shampoo.
4. Baking Soda – Wet your hair. Rub a spoonful of baking soda on your scalp. Leave it for one and half hour before washing it off.
5. Tea Oil – Tea tree oil is also one of the ways to cure dandruff. Take few drops of tea tree oil and spread it evenly on your scalp for 5 to 10 minutes. Wash it off with warm water and mild shampoo.
6. Henna – Henna is known to soften hair. Mix henna with tea liquor, curd and a dash of lemon juice. Leave this mixture overnight. In morning apply on your scalp. Leave it for about 2 hours or so. Wash it off with lukewarm water thoroughly.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar – It is a combo for treatment of hair fall and dandruff. Mix equal parts of Water and Apple Cider Vinegar (fermenting apple juice) and mix them thoroughly. Risen hair with water and then apply the mixture to your wet hair. Massage your scalp with this mixture. Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse off thoroughly with water.
8. Orange Peel Pack – Take the orange peel and grind it in a food processor. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice and mix it thoroughly to form a thick paste. Apply this paste on scalp and leave it for half an hour. Wash it with shampoo.
9. Neem Paste – Neem (usually found in the Indian subcontinent) has an anti-bacterial property. Take a bunch of neem leaves and grind it in the food processor. Apply this thick paste on your scalp and leave it for 10 minutes. Rinse it off with water.
The above all home remedies are low cost and should be tried two to three times in a week to get better results. You will see the difference within two to three weeks. These remedies do not have any side effect as they are natural ones. Remember to drink sufficient water on a regular basis, as it will hydrate your skin and chances of dandruff reoccurring will diminish.